CLC invites applications for a part-time Build Health Family Outreach Worker (20 hours per week) for a one-year contract position to work with Healthy Together to begin immediately through December 2019.
- The Build Health Family Outreach Worker will team with lawyers who represent parents and caretakers of children with asthma and other special needs in housing, special education, and health care access matters. The primary role of the Family Outreach Worker is to minimize the barriers families face in being able to access CLC legal services.
- The Family Outreach Worker will focus on communicating with client families, providing advocacy support and guidance, and connecting families with other community resources as appropriate.
- The position also involves assisting lawyers with other aspects of their representation including gathering school and medical records, meeting with clients in their homes and communities, interviewing clients, caretakers, teachers, medical professionals and witnesses, accompanying clients and their children to appointments, attending school and other meetings and testifying in hearings or trials.
- The position is appropriate for someone considering a public health, legal, counseling, or social work career.
Requirements and Qualifications
- The position requires strong communication and organizational skills, considerable resourcefulness, creativity, initiative and tenacity, as well as tact and discretion.
- An ideal candidate will have experience in one or more of the following areas:
- providing advocacy support to families
- living and/or working in and with communities dealing with issues of poverty,
- knowledge of DC community programs, opportunities, and services, especially in Wards 7 and 8
- raising children with asthma or special needs
- working with families with children with asthma or other special needs
- working on public health issues
- High school diploma or GED certificate required. College Degree or Enrollment in College Degree Program preferred, but not required.
- One-year commitment is required, with the understanding that the position will end in 12 months.
Children’s Law Center is an equal opportunity employer. We provide equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibility, matriculation, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, medication, status as a veteran, tobacco use, or other classification protected by law.
Children’s Law Center has a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural competency. Our aim is to maintain an inclusive, respectful and equitable workplace and ensure all employees are culturally competent in order to most effectively achieve our mission and secure the best possible outcomes for our clients.
Position is open until filled. Start date is ASAP.
No telephone calls please. Send resume, cover letter, and a list of three references via email, fax or U.S. mail to:
Healthy Together Build Health Family Outreach Worker Search Committee
Children’s Law Center
501 3rd Street NW, 8th Floor
Washington, DC 20001