Children’s Law Center (CLC) invites applications for a full-time social worker to work with the Guardian ad Litem program.
Children’s Law Center fights so every child in DC can grow up with a loving family, good health and a quality education. Judges, pediatricians and families turn to us to be advocates for children who are abused or neglected, who aren’t learning in school, or who have health problems that can’t be solved by medicine alone. With 100 staff and hundreds of pro bono lawyers, we reach 1 out of every 8 children in DC’s poorest neighborhoods – more than 5,000 children and families each year. And, we multiply this impact by advocating for city-wide solutions that benefit all children.
The CLC social worker collaborates with attorneys to assess needs, identify supports and services and advocate for better outcomes for clients involved in the abuse and neglect system.
- Clinically reviews cases and consults with GALs on case planning, permanency planning, mental health, educational services, and health;
- Provides independent comprehensive assessments and observations in multiple child welfare related domains including placement, education, caregiving capacity, and therapeutic services;
- Provides proactive, strategic, clinical recommendations and advocacy in the best interests of the client;
- Conducts visits with client(s) and participates in meetings;
- Identifies and assists in coordinating therapeutic services;
- Collects and manages resources and providers;
- Assesses, engages, and strengthens team;
- Provides clinical advocacy and testimony in court;
- Conducts internal and external training as needed.
- Candidates must hold a District of Columbia Social Work license: Licensed Graduate Social Workers (LGSW) level or higher;
- One or more years of experience working with children and families strongly preferred;
- Knowledge of social services within the District of Columbia, specifically those for children and families;
- Experience with and/or knowledge of the DC child welfare system
- Desire to work with attorneys in representing the best interest of children in the abuse and neglect system;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills;
- Ability to be flexible, excellent time-management and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated capacity to work independently and collaboratively;
- Two-year commitment required;
- Spanish language ability is a plus.
- Valid Driver’s License
Children’s Law Center is an equal opportunity employer. We provide equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibility, matriculation, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, medication, status as a veteran, tobacco use, or other classification protected by law.
Children’s Law Center has a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural competency. Our aim is to maintain an inclusive, respectful and equitable workplace and ensure all employees are culturally competent in order to most effectively achieve our mission and secure the best possible outcomes for our clients.
Applications must include a cover letter, current resume, writing sample, and a list of three references. Interested applicants must submit materials to email@example.com. Applications must be submitted electronically. No mailed applications will be considered. No phone calls please.
Writing Sample Guidelines:
- 5 pages maximum (even if an excerpt from a longer document)
- Preferred: an assessment (diagnostic, caregiver, biopsychosocial, etc.) from previous social work employment or field placement.
- If candidate does not have an assessment, then an excerpt from a social work program paper.
Applications should be addressed to:
Social Worker Staff Search Committee
Children’s Law Center
616 H Street, NW, Suite 300
Washington, DC 20001